26th Ji.hlava International Documentary Film Festival
East West Index
The presentation of an exclusive survey among key European documentary film festivals focuses on figures representing individual regions.
The initial impetus is a long-term underrepresentation of Eastern European films at Western European film festivals. However, the findings pose much more complex questions related to the role of film festivals and their programming objectives. Is the programme of many festivals mainly composed of Western European and North American films due to the quality of the selected titles, or is this a more complex issue? As part of the survey, the online portal, eastwestindex.com, was founded, and a commitment made by the Ji.hlava IDFF to further monitor these (dis)proportions in the programmes of individual festivals.
- The fresh East West Index data collected at film festivals during the pandemic year 2020 has been presented as part of the Doc Talk organised by the Ji.hlava IDFF at Marche du Film / Cannes Docs on Monday, 12th July at 4PM.
- You can download the presentation in pdf HERE.
- Press release: "East West Index Survey: Pandemic wiped out one in four films from festivals in 2020" to download HERE.
- Names of the EMERGING PRODUCERS 2022 has been officially announced at the event.
- East-West Index survey presented at the Cannes Docs, Marché du Film, June 24, 2020 to download HERE
- Recording of the debate "Which regions are under-represented in the programming of film festivals and why?" hosted by Ji.hlava IDFF at Cannes Docs / Marché du Film, June 24, 2020
- Results of the East-West Index survey presented at Ji.hlava IDFF in October 2019 to download ZDE